My quick and easy, classic chicken salad recipe made healthier and lighter to make the perfect homemade chicken salad sandwich. The perfect cold lunch for meal prep!
Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
This Classic Chicken Salad recipe, made with simple ingredients is perfect for make-ahead lunches. There’s so many ways to eat it, like as a chicken salad sandwich, on a bagel, over a salad or in lettuce wraps. It’s is my go-to lunch to keep on hand in the refrigerator to eat throughout the week, or to bring to potlucks and it’s dairy-free, gluten-free, high protein, and low-carb. Some more of my favorite healthy chicken salad recipes are Cilantro Chicken Salad, Ranch Chicken Salad, and Chicken Salad with Lemon and Dill.
Chicken salad is also a great way to use up leftover chicken breast from a whole roasted chicken.
Classic Chicken Salad Ingredients
- Chicken: Chop 12 ounces of cooked chicken breasts from 1 whole roasted chicken. You can also use rotisserie chicken to save time.
- Mayonnaise: I use light mayo to reduce the calories, but feel free to use your favorite mayo.
- Celery: Chop celery for some crunch and veggies.
- Red Onion: Swap red onion for scallions or chives.
- Chicken Broth: If the chicken salad is a little dry, stir in two tablespoons of broth.
- Dijon Mustard for a little tang
- Seasoned Salt and Black Pepper for flavor
How to Make Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is really easy to make. Remove the chicken breast from the roasted chicken and chop it fine with the veggies, then combine with mayonnaise, celery, onions, Dijon mustard, a little chicken broth if needed and season with salt and pepper.
How to Serve with Chicken Salad
Here are some ways to serve this chicken salad.
- Wraps using whole wheat or grain-free tortillas
- Bagels: I love everything bagels with chicken salad!
- Bread, like these High-Protein Oat Rolls or your favorite sandwich bread
- Lettuce wraps for a low-carb option.
- Collard Green Wraps are another healthy low-carb option.
- Salad: Eat the chicken salad over lettuce, and add other veggies, like avocado, cucumber, or cherry tomatoes.
How long does homemade chicken salad last?
Homemade chicken salad lasts about 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Chicken Salad Variations
- Mayo Swap: Substitute Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise or use half yogurt, half mayo.
- Add some diced apples or grapes for sweetness and crunch.
- You can add nuts like almonds, walnuts or pecans.
- Mix in dried cranberries or cherries for a pop of sweetness.
- Add some chopped pickles for a sour bite.
- Herbs: Sprinkle in fresh dill, green onions or parsley.
- Add more seasoning like everything bagel seasoning, onion powder or garlic powder.
What do I do if my chicken salad is too dry?
Since I use less mayo than most traditional Chicken Salad recipes to keep it light, I like to add a little chicken broth to keep it moist without needing more mayo or yogurt. This is a great dairy-free option.
Another option is to add some fat-free Greek yogurt along with the mayo which also adds more protein.
More Chicken Salad Recipes You’ll Love
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over salad, in a wrap, or in a sandwich
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Calories: 131 kcal, Carbohydrates: 2 g, Protein: 18 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 50 mg, Sodium: 307 mg, Sugar: 1 g