Greek Tofu Bowls feature crispy, baked breaded tofu cutlets over a bed of fresh cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers in a light dressing.
Greek Tofu Bowl
Tofu is a great source of vegetarian protein. It’s low in calories and very mild in flavor, so it needs a little love to make it something you crave. Since I always get requests for new ways to enjoy tofu that’s not Asian, I came up with this healthy Greek Tofu recipe. It’s like a Greek salad with tofu, with lots of fresh and colorful vegetables. Plus, they pack in 32 grams of protein per serving. This is a great plant-based main course for lunch or dinner. More of my favorite tofu recipes are these Tofu Poke Bowls, Spicy Sriracha Tofu Rice Bowls, and Tofu Tacos.
How do you infuse tofu with flavor?
Many Greek tofu marinade recipes use a liquid marinade to infuse flavor, but it didn’t seem like the way to go for a Mediterranean flavor. Instead, I created thinner cutlet and layered flavor with seasoned Greek yogurt and breadcrumbs, creating a light, yet crunchy tofu dish, even non-tofu lovers will enjoy!
Greek Tofu Ingredients
- Tofu: Drain one package of extra firm tofu.
- Yogurt: I used nonfat plain Greek yogurt to coat the tofu.
- Garlic: Mince two garlic cloves.
- Lemon: Zest one lemon.
- Panko breadcrumbs for extra crispy tofu
- Seasoning: Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano
- Greek Bowl Dressing: Olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, dried oregano, salt, pepper
- Vegetables: Persian cucumber, red bell pepper, grape tomatoes, red onion
- Cheese: Crumble feta on top of the bowls.
How to Make Greek Tofu Bowls
- Drain the Tofu: Place tofu on a plate lined with paper towels or a tea towel, cover with another towel, and place a heavy pan on top to press out the excess water.
- Dressing: Whisk the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Greek Yogurt Mixture: Combine the yogurt, garlic, lemon zest, salt, and pepper.
- Tofu Breading: Mix the panko and seasoning.
- Season Tofu: Slice the tofu widthwise into eight equal slices, about half-inch each. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Dredge the Tofu: Lightly coat the pieces in yogurt and then the breadcrumbs, pressing gently to adhere. Place the breaded slices onto a greased sheet pan and lightly spray the tops with oil.
- Bake the breaded tofu on a baking sheet for 20 minutes at 400°F. Remove the pan from the oven, flip each piece, and then return to the oven to bake for another 20 minutes. Let cool for five minutes.
- Prep the Vegetables: Dice the cucumber and bell pepper into one-inch pieces, slice the red onions, and halve the tomatoes.
- Assemble the Tofu Bowls: Add half of the vegetables to two large bowls and top each with four tofu slices. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with feta.
How to Store Greek Bowls
The tofu will be the crispiest straight out of the oven, but if you want to meal prep these vegetarian Greek bowls, store the tofu, veggies, dressing, and cheese separately. Reheat the tofu in the air fryer, oven, or microwave until warm.
- Vegetables: Feel free to use any combo of veggies you have. Avocado, roasted beets, and zucchini would all be good.
- Not a tofu fan? Swap it with shrimp or chicken.
- Herbs: Sprinkle the bowls with fresh herbs, like mint, dill, or basil.
- Jarred Ingredients: Top the Mediterranean bowls with kalamata olives, capers, or artichoke hearts.
- Make It More Filling: Add brown rice, quinoa, pita bread or chickpeas.
- Vegan Tofu Bowls: Omit the cheese and use dairy-free yogurt.
- Sauce: If you want more of a sauce on top, top if with tzatziki or drizzle with tahini.
- Greek Salad: Add romaine lettuce or spinach if you want to add leafy greens.
More Bowls Recipes You’ll Love
Yield: 2 servings
Serving Size: 1 bowl
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a sheet pan with oil and set aside.
Place tofu on a paper towel or tea towel lined plate. Cover with another towel and place a heavy pan on top to press out excess water from tofu.
Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a small measuring cup, combine all dressing ingredients. Whisk to combine and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with the garlic, lemon zest, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste.
Place breadcrumbs on a plate then add the garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste. Mix to combine.
Slice tofu widthwise into 8 equal slices, about ½ inch each. Season slices with a pinch of salt and pepper. Flip the slices and season with another pinch of salt and pepper.
Working with 1 slice at a time, add the tofu to the yogurt mixture and with your hands or the back of a spoon, lightly coat the tofu with the yogurt then set aside on another clean plate. Repeat with the remaining slices.
Once all slices are coated in yogurt, move to the breading.
Dip each slice in the breadcrumbs, pressing gently to adhere to all sides. Place each breaded slice on the prepared sheet pan. Lightly spray the top with olive oil.
Place tofu in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the sheet pan from the oven, carefully flip each piece, then return to the oven to bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, dice the cucumber and bell pepper into 1-inch pieces and halve the tomatoes.
When the tofu is finished, allow it to cool for 5 minutes while you assemble the bowls. In 2 shallow bowls, add ½ the cucumber, pepper, onions and tomatoes to each then top with 4 slices of tofu. Whisk the dressing to re-combine then drizzle over the bowls and top with crumbled feta.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 bowl, Calories: 485 kcal, Carbohydrates: 30 g, Protein: 32 g, Fat: 27 g, Saturated Fat: 5.5 g, Cholesterol: 16 mg, Sodium: 682 mg, Fiber: 6 g, Sugar: 9 g